Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Husband's Shirt

Ironing a shirt. Who does that very often anymore? I have just maybe three shirts that need ironing. Linen shirts. And my husband has just one linen shirt. I tried to convince him that linen can be wrinkly. But he's more fastidious than that. So, this morning I was ironing my linen shirt for a meeting, and I pulled out his to iron too.

Ironing is an opportunity to sort out thoughts. With just two shirts this morning I had composed the opening paragraph for a newsletter article I need to write. Not many of us iron shirts these days. But during my lifetime, and of course way before, ironing has been a main component of housekeeping. Not enough to stuff laundry in machines and throw scented dryer sheets in the mix. Before all that, one had to iron just about everything: shirts, sheets and my dad's under shorts! Knowing how ironing can be a peaceful few moments of time, I thought about all the women through time, pressing away and their minds sorting and conjuring thoughts, ideas, dreams and plans. So many people tell stories; cultural and social pastimes. Think of all the stories that were conceived over the warm scent of clean cotton, whispering steam, steady back and forth movement of arms. Smoothing out wrinkles. On the cotton and in the mind.

Ironing can be meditative. I've noticed how relaxed I feel after ironing. Maybe the warmth, maybe the steam is sort of cleansing. But I personally get a sense of satisfaction when I spread out the fabric and press in with the iron, holding it just so long and smoothing out the creases. Seeing the wrinkles gone, the color and texture of the fabric back to its properly attractive state; it actually makes me smile. Such easy entertainment. Meditative, soothing, uplifting, centering. I think of all the hundreds of dollars spent on meditation retreats, special mats and cushions, comfy pants, soft shoes; oh, just a lot of things we often think we have to have. I'm thinking maybe I get to combine two of my favorite things, in such an unexpected way: shopping for clothes and going deep into thought to create insights, dreams and plans. Ironing! I will consider this next time I shop. It really goes "back to basics", doesn't it? Shop for natural fabrics and simple comfort. Wash, iron and wear. And ironing for my husband is another whole experience of being able to do something nice for him. A traditional role of give and take. Ironing brings back memories and feelings of home, kitchen, family and a blissfully incorrect wash of certainty that life was so much easier "back then". My ironing allows me guilt-free moments to let my mind drift, or busy myself with new ideas and strategies. Quiet time, although busy in the mind. Who knows? Maybe I'll get crazy and tackle our bedsheets next laundry day!

No comments:

Resveratrol - Why Wait?

3Day Slideshow