Friday, June 13, 2008

Bridging the "Gap"

I advocate for Fair Trade and using local merchants and services as much as possible. In doing so I don't usually like to take a walk on the dark side; you know, digging up dirt about corporations, grousing about how awful everything is and belaboring labor laws. Just not my style; I'm more user-friendly, I like things warm and fuzzy. But to learn and get the concept of why Fair Trade and corporate responsibility are vital, you might want to take a peek behind the curtain. Kind of like knowing your favorite restaurant; such great food...what's the kitchen like? I mean really?? Co-op America, www.coopamerica.org, has a new website called "Responsible Shopper". Here's the scoop from them: "We comb through reports from the news media, the government (from the EPA to the FDA), and our environmental and social justice nonprofit allies to compile comprehensive data on some of the largest corporations in America. Then, we put it together in our easily searchable Web site, so you can make informed purchasing decisions on everything from cosmetics to groceries to clothing and much more.

Through Responsible Shopper's “Go Green” feature, we also link you to strategies for shifting your purchasing and investing to more responsible options."

For me it's a way to take a look and make an informed choice. I'm not organizing a march against The Gap, throwing things at innocent shoppers who cross the line. (The Gap? What about The Gap? I love their clothes!...sorry, take a look: http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/responsibleshopper/company.cfm?id=229 ) I want to support what's working well, for all involved. It's a learning experience.

No comments:

Resveratrol - Why Wait?

3Day Slideshow