Friday, July 25, 2008

Who Knew?! Making a great connection...

I'm in training for the Susan G. Komen 3Day Breast Cancer walk. My team, The Tickled Pinks, will be walking in the San Francisco Bay Area walk, September 5,6 and 7. Well, this is indeed a commitment. And the walking is arduous. No doubt about it. We're training at about 12-14 miles now. That's about 4 hours of walking. I've been a bit of a whiner too! My Sundays are kaput! Walking at 7:30am on a Sunday! Phooey! But, in my heart, I knew there are good reasons for this and some hidden benefits...I just knew it...Today, I happened to look at a photo I took in Florence, Italy.

It was a photo of the plaza around the Uffizi museum and gallery. My hubby and I traveled there just last October, 2007. The walking!! All over Florence, Rome and Venice. My feet felt like pounded beef! In fact, I had to trick my husband into walking to this plaza in the photo. "Oh, there's something I want to see just over here"; "just around this corner"; "oh, just a little farther down this street"; "um, just over there"...really! I kept him in suspense until we were there because he had dug in his heels and said, "I can't walk anymore!!"

When I reminisced over this photo a connection sparked! WALKING! Oh my! After all this walking we've been doing, to get to the 3Day event in San Francisco, I could walk ALL OVER ITALY!! I could frickin' walk from France to Italy! Bigga deala!

So, think of it! How great this walk is for raising money for breast cancer, and how it effects our lives in ways we never expected. I'll get back to Europe, or any other magnificent destination, and I'll be able to get myself around in the most intimate way without feeling like my legs are lead. This is like a gift! New feet, new legs! Who knew?!

And here I present you the opportunity to be a part of this widespread joy and gratitude. Make a donation to the Susan G. Komen 3Day Breast Cancer Walk here.

1 comment:

The Margin Wight said...

I happened upon your blog and read your post on walking. My eye was especially caught by the photo from Florence. My Beloved and I went to Florence in 1997 and it was a wonderful trip. We walked all over the place too. In one week, we did 13 museums and churches, not to mention the parks, Fiesole, Pisa, and all the restaurants. It was a grand time and we enjoyed the walking. Thanks for inspiring the memory and good luck with the SGK walk in SF.

Resveratrol - Why Wait?

3Day Slideshow